Gopi Shah Ceramics is a handcrafted ceramics and pottery design production studio based in Long Beach, California. Every piece is thrown on the wheel or hand built, trimmed, bisque-fired, glazed, and then glaze-fired to 2200°. Founded in 2014 in Austin, Texas, Gopi Shah Ceramics has moved from Austin to San Francisco to Long Beach and with it, designs, forms and clay bodies have developed and changed to create a line of stoneware home decor items that combine ancient traditions and techniques with modern forms and finishes.
Gopi Shah Ceramics has been a one-woman production studio up until now. We are seeking a production assistant that is a jack-of-all-trades. The ideal candidate is dependable, has a high attention to detail, and is seeking to further their pottery knowledge and experience. This is a part-time (15-20 hours a week) independent contractor position, but the right candidate will have the option to grow with the company and expand their role and responsibilities.
- Learn all products for production
- Weigh clay for wheel-throwing
- Sponge greenware
- Manipulate and decorate forms
- Glaze/hand-paint bisqueware
- Pack and ship orders
- Prep for and sell at craft fairs
- Work consistently and precisely
- Detail oriented
- Great attitude
- Excellent craftsmanship skills
- Able to follow instructions accurately and in a timely manner
- One+ semester of ceramics instruction
- Lift 50 lbs
- Repetitive motion
- Stand for 80% of the day
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Local applicants only.